There has been a widely reported significant rise in recent years of children and young people accessing NHS support through the Gender Identity Development Service (GIDS). This is mirrored through our own services, The Proud Trust are working with increased numbers of transand gender variant young people.
Further to this, we are receiving increasing numbers of requests from schools - primary and secondary - to guide them to appropriately support any trans or gender variant children or young people in their care. At the moment, requests for such support from schools are tending to be reactive to the "coming out" of a trans or gender variant child or young person.
We believe that a proactive approach is needed - having the systems and support in place, ready for the inevitability of a trans or variant child or young person attending your school.
This one day training event will:
- Be an in depth exploration of gender and gender identity;
- Look at the legal and moral requirements of a school to meet the needs of a trans or gender variant child;
- Give school staff an appropriate set of termnology pertaining to trans and gender variant identities;
- Give school staff the confidence to recognise and challenge transphobic language and behaviour;
- Use your experiences and knowledge to consult on what will become a "Trans Inclusion Charter for Schools in Cheshire West and Chester".