San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Start Issue Mapping in 2 Days!
"Definitely one of the best courses I have ever attended...I have already recommended to many people that they should get on the next course if possible." Jon Gorton
"I have just completed an IBIS mapping course with Paul Culmsee at Seven Sigma. I can highly recommend this business tool for all project managers and business resources. It was a brilliant two days and I learnt new techniques which have already started to pay dividends in my professional role.This course was brilliant. The technique itself is a valuable tool for any business with multiple applications." Leisha Velterop
Learn the craft of issue mapping, a novel, powerful and inclusive method to elicit requirements, capture knowledge and develop shared understanding in complex projects, such as SharePoint or broader strategic planning. Pioneered by CogNexus Institue in California, and used by NASA, the World Bank and United Nations, this course is now available in the United Kingdom for the first time.
Presented by: Paul Culmsee
Seven Sigma, together with 21apps, are bringing the Issue Mapping class in Birmingham UK, October 2012.
Date: October 17-18, 2012
Venue: The Custard Factory, Birmingham, UK
IF YOU ALSO REGISTER FOR THE SHARESPOINT GOVERNANCE AND INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE CLASS YOU WILL RECEIVE A BULK DISCOUNT of £1,395.00 for both classes.
Choose the Bundle ticket above to register for both classes.
What is Issue Mapping?
We have all felt the frustration of walking from yet another unproductive meeting, wondering where the agenda went. Yet, as problems become more complex, meetings are still the place where critical strategic decisions are made.
Issue Mapping offers a solution to reducing the frustration and repetition of meetings, levereaging the wisdom of the crowds and tapping into the knowledge that all participants bring to the table. It is a sensemaking framework used to support group discussions to assist all involved to come to a shared understanding.
Issue Mapping visually maps participants' points of view, problems voiced, the rationale and reasons leading up to decisions. These maps are created as part of the meeting process and form a central point of reference. The maps are rich and detailed, yet can be easily read and understood by everyone, even by those not part of the discussion group.
Why Issue Mapping?
- Maps decision and detailed rationale behind decision-making; maps the thinking process of the group
- Concentrates on pros and cons to an idea, encourages and explores all view
- Promotes greater shared understanding of the problem at hand
- Represents and clarifies diverse points of view, conflicting interpretations and goals, inconsistent information and other forms of complexity
- Opportunity for all to be heard, contributions acknowledged
- Keeps participants on topic - they can see the progress of the discussion visually, the bigger picture can be absorbed better and they can appreciate the validity and value of a larger perspective
- Helps participants come up with better ideas and avoids jumping to simplistic answers and superficial conclusions
- Promotes deeper reasoning, rigor and crowd wisdom
- Supporting information (such as documents and images) can easily be attached to map to back up group reasoning
- Participants can see the effectiveness of mapping and genuinely will try to make the discussion more productive
Perfectly suited to both IT and non-IT audience; those involved in highly complex projects, including:
- Strategic planners
- Organisational development professionals
- Business analysts
- Change agents
- Managers and engineers
Class aims and outcomes
- Create great issue maps - clear, coherent, and inviting
- immediately start Issue Mapping effectively in your work and life; the class will focus on practical experience and map building
- Command a rich range of options for publishing and sharing maps
- Lead with maps; create direction, momentum and energy with issue maps
- Quickly and effectively do critical analysis in dynamic situations
- Organise unstructured information and discover patterns and connections within it
- Make critical thinking visible for inspection and analysis
- Recognise early, the symptoms of wicked problems and the forces behind group divergence
- Start capturing the rationale leading up to the decisions by using IBIS and Compendium software
- Recognise the importance of capturing the rationale behind decisions, as well as the decisions themselves
- Rethink the traditional approach to meetings and decision making
Gain a deeper understanding of:
- The fundamentals of IBIS and Compendium
- The structural patterns that give clarity and power to issue maps
- How decision rationale is represented in a map
How Seven Sigma use Issue Mapping, but not limited to:
- Requirements gathering
- User engagement/ User adoption
- Envisioning workshops
- Goal alignment workshops
- Strategic planning workshops
- Internal meetings
- Client status meetings
The simplest way to gain shared understanding!!!
Fantastic method for capturing knowledge!!!
This class will be hands on. Please bring your own laptop with compendium software installed.
2 intense days with homework after the first day, and optional homework after course completion
The Issue Mapping manual; morning/afternoon tea breaks, lunch, tea/coffee/water throughout the day.
Bundle ticket purchase
For those who purchase the 4 Day bundle ticket, should one event be cancelled, the ticket for the uncancalled event will be charged at the Early Bird rate.
No refunds will be issued for attendee cancellations once payment is received. Class cancellation by the organiser will result in a refund less transaction fees.
Running of the events will be confirmed via email October 1, 2012. Should the event be cancelled, 21apps and Seven Sigma will not be liable for flight or accommodation costs. Should you require flight and accommodation for this event, we suggest you leave the bookings 'til after your receipt of the confirmation.
When & Where
At 21apps we have a vision - 'Inspiring people to change the way they work'!
Our focus is very much on SharePoint as a disruptive techology that can bring great value, but needs to be done well. At 21apps we can help you get the most from your investment in SharePoint and really change the way you work.