Actions and Detail Panel
Understanding Adolescents | One day workshop - Saturday 13 May 2017 | 10am-...
Sat 13 May 2017, 10:00 – 16:00 BST
Saturday 13th May - 10.00 - 4.00pm
With guest speaker: Diana Samuels, Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist and Counsellor from Young Herts Minds
This course has been developed to help parents, therapists and anyone working with adolescents to navigate and explore inside the mind of teenagers.
The pressures of modern day life can affect a child’s mental wellbeing, from struggling in class to falling out with friends. It is estimated that 50% of all mental health problems are established by the age of 14 and 75% by the age of 24.
The course will look at how we can protect our children’s mental health as they spend ever more time on social media, with studies showing some for more than three hours a day. We look at current research into this and explore practical ways we can support them.
Diana is a qualified and experienced child and adolescent psychotherapist and play therapist. She has a background in social work and has provided consultative support to other professionals, parents and carers.
- Discussion around what is adolescence?
- Explore and understand different Attachment Theories and how it relates to adolescence.
- Look at the influence of social media on teenage mental health.
- Introduction to theory stages through the life cycle and how adolescence fits in
- Developments in Neuroscience – what we know about changes in the adolescent brain and how we can support teenagers in the changing world
- Discover practical ways to listen and communicate effectively
- Helpful books and resources
The workshop will use a combination of experiential, group discussion and more traditional learning methods.
This course is suitable for parents, therapists and anyone working with adolescents; teachers, police, nursing, mentors, youth workers or pastoral areas.
Cost: £85 (Eventbrite booking fees apply)
Discounted rate of £75 applies to staff, counsellors and existing students
Booking Terms and Conditions:
To reserve a place we must receive the full amount of your ticket. Eventbrite will also charge an additional booking fee.
Though numbers for our workshops are limited, it is also necessary to achieve a minimum attendance to make the course viable. In cases where the minimum attendance is not achieved, we reserve the right to cancel workshops; participants will have their fees fully refunded or offered an alternative session.