Actions and Detail Panel
Understanding & Responding to Domestic Violence & Abuse - Nottingham City
Price: Free for practitioners/workers in Nottingham City (excluding Nottinghamshire County) only.
This one-day course aims to create a shared understanding of domestic violence and abuse among professionals working in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire, and to increase appropriate responses. Delegates will:
- explore different aspects of domestic violence and abuse and its causes,
- explore the myths and stereotypes of domestic violence,
- examine the reasons why people stay and return to abusive relationships and
- consider the impact living with domestic violence on survivors and children.
- it also enables participants to identify, develop and implement communication and support skills, such as asking about the presence of domestic violence and safety planning, considering risk and effective signposting
Understanding and Responding to Domestic Violence and Abuse is the starting point for professionals. Much of the focus of this course is on women and children’s experience of abuse from male perpetrators, however many of the tools and resources are applicable to anyone living with domestic violence.
It is preferable that this course is completed before accessing other Equation courses, but it is an essential pre-requisite to the following: Challenging Domestic Violence: Good Practice Guideines for Working with Male Perpetrators of DV; Working with Children and Young People Impacted by Domestic Violence and Abuse.
Free places are kindly funded by Nottingham Crime and Drugs Partnership