Actions and Detail Panel
UPHOLSTERY - HOW TO UPHOLSTER A DROP-IN SEAT FROM SCRATCH
Thu 10 November 2016, 19:15 – 21:45 GMT
HOW TO UPHOLSTER A DROP-IN SEAT FROM SCRATCH
THIS IS A 3 WEEK COURSE CONSISITING OF 1 EVENING PER WEEK
Textile artist and upholsterer Antonietta Torsiello will show you how to use all the specialist tools to unpick and take apart a drop in dining seat and how to recover a chair seat to transform your tired piece of furniture into a pretty butterfly.
This upholstery class is aimed at beginners however it doesn't matter how much experience or lack of it you have. The point is that you are interested in learning a new craft or want to carry on with an existing project and that you are enthusiastic.
Smaller class size
There are a maximum of 5 students for per class meaning you are able to gain the most out of the 3 week course.
Key process: Foam filled drop-in dining seat
One of the modules that professional upholsterers undertake is the process of making a ‘drop-in’ dining seat. By building up foam and applying the additional layers of calico and polyester to fabric, every student learns how to tension a fabric with confidence.
By the end of the course learners will be able to
• Strip old upholstery, evaluate the condition of the frame and recognise necessary repairs
• Name and identify tools to be used and demonstrate their safe use
• Identify appropriate filling/stuffing/webbing and how they will be used
• Identify/evaluate/measure suitable fabric/trimmings and how they will be used
• Re-upholster a drop in dining seat using traditional or modern methods.