Actions and Detail Panel
Venepuncture study day
Tue 21 March 2017, 09:30 – 16:30 GMT
COURSE ONLY OPEN TO TOWER HAMLETS STAFF
This workshop develops the learners’ knowledge and skills in venepuncture. The participants will be encouraged to reflect on their practice to identify clinical examples which link practice to theory. The aim of this workshop is to develop both theoretical knowledge and clinical skills in order to perform venepuncture safely and efficiently.
The session will cover the following areas:
the components and function of the circulatory system in order to perform venepuncture
the anatomy of blood vessels in relation to venepuncture
key principles in performing venepuncture including consent
blood collection systems
Practical session on performing venepuncture using Vacutainer system with criteria for assessment and follow up required to ensure safety in practice
Leading Change, Adding Value: A framework for nursing, midwifery and care staff (NHS England, 2016), NHS Constitution (Department of Health 2013) and the Code of Conduct for Healthcare Support Workers and Adult Social Care Workers in England (Skills for Care/Skills for Health 2013) will be applied to the subject matter throughout the session.
By the end of this session learners will have had the opportunity to
1. describe the components and function of the circulatory system in order to perform venepuncture
2. Outline the anatomy of blood vessels in relation to venepuncture
3. Discuss key principles in performing venepuncture including consent and positive patient identification
4. Explain the correct order of draw and its importance
5. Outline ANTT principles in regards to venepuncture
6. Demonstrate effective venepuncture using Vacutainer system
** Please note that this is theory training ONLY and practical assesment of skills must be done by the Employers/ Managers to ensure patient safety.