Actions and Detail Panel
Walking Tour about British Tea History (Part 1)
Fri 30 June 2017, 11:00 – 13:30 BST
Would you like to learn fascinating facts about the history of tea and tea itself? On this tour we will learn where it was born, how it came to Europe, and particularly England, how its popularity changed over time, where it was consumed, stored and sold. We will start it with tasting a variety of Darjeeling teas and then will continue with our journey. We will also drink teas brought by me during our journey - I will distribute small cups and we will drink tea from them as we go.
On this walk you will find out:
- what the relationship between ornamental Camellia and the tea bush is, and actually meet a tea bush from Darjeeling. You will have a chance to compare both on the spot!
- what is the difference between Chinese and Indian teas
- how did Englishmen steal tea from the Chinese and what are they drinking now
- why it was that coffee houses and not tea houses first appeared in England
- how did the marriage of Charles II influence tea’s popularity
- which tea rooms inspired Charles Dickens
- which tea house Margaret Thatcher worked at and as who
- what is the connection between tea and the Tate Tate
….. and lots more!
£20 per person (includes all teas: darjeeling tasting, tea from thermos + tea at a cafe at the end)
£15 per person (includes Darjeeling tasting, tea from thermos during the walk but NOT tea at a cafe)
At the start of the walk I will briefly talk about the main classifications of teas. We will also discuss how they are processed. I will bring two different teas chosen by me in thermoses and will serve it to you in little cups in the coldest (or in summer – hottest) spots to keep you joyful and full of energy. If you choose the 20GBP option ticket, then we will end the walk at a cafe with a pot of tea and some socialising. Alternatively, we will say good bye to each other at the end point!
During this tour we will be spending more time at each site as the sites are situated close to each other.
I will be extremely happy to see you all!
Please book your tickets, if you decide to join us!