The Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon Railway opened in 1868, with two routes between Tooting and Wimbledon - one going north through Haydens Road and the other south through Merton Abbey and Merton Park.
When the Underground was extended from Clapham Common to Morden in 1926, it opened stations at Colliers Wood and South Wimbledon. These new captured much of the traffic from the southern route through Merton leading to its closure to passengers on 3 March 1929. The line remained open for goods services until 1 May 1972 and goods trains continued to run until 1975 to a nearby private siding serving Lines Brothers ("Tri-ang") once the largest toy factory in the world
Join Stephen to follow the route of this forgotten line from Merton Park all the way to Tooting, along the way we walk some sections of the actual line which have been converted into footpaths. We will see the station house at Merton Park, the location of Merton Abbey station, the site of the Lines Bros Factory and the footbridge which once crossed the platforms at Tooting Junction station.
You can check travel options at the Transport for London Journey Planner.