Actions and Detail Panel
Women in the Media Industries: Inputs & Influences
Mon 10 April 2017, 11:30 – 17:30 BST
This event focuses on women working in the media industries and how their inputs influence production processes and outputs – what we see on our screens and how they are made. We will be bringing together media professionals and academics to talk about their professional roles and practices, as well as to discuss their research on media industries that focus on gender and inequalities in cultural production industries. Research on creative and cultural industries reveal gendered patterns of disadvantage that manifest in areas such as recruitment, networking and work conditions. This event aims to address these issues and create a dialogue about the subject.
The event will revolve around panel discussions with the aim of developing exchange of ideas in a non-hierarchical set-up. We have a wonderful group of participants who are from a range of backgrounds (TV, radio, film and digital game design) and working in different capacities.
– Anne Morrison: BAFTA Deputy Chair
– Nainita Desai: Music Composer for Film & Television and one of 2016 BAFTA Breakthrough Brits
– Judy Ducker: Established Prop/Production Buyer for Film & Television
– Dr Kate Murphy: Senior Lecturer in History at Bournemouth University and Former Senior Producer for Radio 4 Woman’s Hour
– Joanna Bostock: Broadcast Journalist, BBC Radio Leicester
– Dr Bridget Conor: Senior Lecturer in Culture, Media and Creative Industries, King’s College London
– Dr Alison Harvey: Lecturer in Media & Communication, University of Leicester
– Dr Natalie Wreyford: Research Fellow at University of Southampton who had various roles as Senior Development Executive in the British Film Industry
11:30 – 12:00 Registration
12:00 – 12:10 Introduction
12:10 – 13:30 Panel 1 (Anne Morrison, Nainita Desai and Judy Ducker)
13:30 – 14:15 Lunch Break
14:15 – 15:15 Panel 2 (Dr Kate Murphy and Joanna Bostock)
15:15 – 15:30 Tea Break
15:30 – 16:45 Panel 3 (Dr Bridget Conor, Dr Alison Harvey and Dr Natalie Wreyford)
16:45 – 17:30 Reception
Location: Vijay Patel Building, Lecture Threatre 4.05 (Fletcher Suite), 4th floor
** This event is funded by MeCCSA Women's Media Studies Network & Faculty of Technology, De Montfort University.
Campus map: http://virtualopenday.dmu.ac.uk/