San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Aim of the Event
In all paradigms of counselling and psychotherapy the therapist aims to have a safe, boundaried space in which the client can risk being themselves. If this space is provided then you have the right environment for the client to disclose perhaps for the first time a history of sexual abuse. The therapist does not have to be an expert in this field, as the client themselves will teach you how to be with them. Each case of sexual abuse is unique and although there can be commonalities the impact on the individual is particular to the individual. Experience together with study is the prime educator and I hope to use both these mediums to develop your knowledge and confidence to be a real presence for the client who reveals a history of sexual abuse.
Intended Learning outcomes
- How to be with a client as they reclaim repressed memories.(we will look at how and why memories start to surface)
- How to be alongside a client who has complex post traumatic stress disorder.
- We will ask the question -Is it ever necessary to refer a client with complex PTSD?
- the purpose of self harm/suicide ideation
- Understanding the defence mechanism of dissociation and how to be alongside the client in this state.
- How to take care of self when working with childhood sexual abuse.
About the Facilitator
Albert Einstein tells us “that experience is the only source of knowledge” but I caution that it is knowledge with a high price.
I am a private practitioner in the humanistic integrative tradition, I have also been a dental surgeon for a great number of years. I practice relational developmental psychotherapy and also have the skills of hypnosis and EMDR. I am an unsolicited expert in childhood sexual abuse having had the experience myself and having lost a dear friend to the sequelae of the long term effects of this assault.
£70 if paid in advance or £75 at the door.
Refreshments, snacks, handouts and CPD certificate are included in the price.
Note – lunch is not included.
How do I register? Above or by requesting a registration form from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Numbers: Min 10. Please note that these workshops are subject to cancellation if we do not reach the minimum numbers requried to make it viable.
The Sharing Space
· Would you like to present at a seminar or workshop?
· Can you recommend a speaker?
· Do you have a topic you would like to hear about?
Then email email@example.com.
Pass it on! Feel free to pass this invitation on to colleagues and counselling centres – everyone is welcome!
Save This Event
When & Where
Greenwood Events organises affordable workshops for counsellors in Scotland. Go to www.greenwoodevents.co.uk for further information or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.