- To improve understanding of tumour types
- To improve understanding of surgical and oncological management
- To explore the evidence base for the SLT provision for this client group
- To better understand MDT input along the patient pathway
- To improve awareness of other services and how to access them
Specialist Neuro-Oncology multidisciplinary speakers from National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Royal Surrey County Hospital, St Georges and Kings College Hospital including:
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Consultant Neurologist
- Speech Therapists
- Occupational Therapist
- Voluntary sector organisation
09.30 Introduction to brain tumours - Liz Ford, CNS King’s College Hospital
- Incidences of Brain and CNS Tumours including cell types, locations.
- Typical presentations and symptomology.
- Tumour grading scale and prognosis.
10.30 Treatment of brain and CNS tumours - Dr Jeremy Rees, Consultant Neurologist
- Overview of treatment approaches and rationale
- Side-effects of treatment
11.30 Morning tea break
11.45 Speech Therapy intervention – Hilary Wren, SLT King’s College Hospital
- Evidenced based practice and clinical guidelines
- Links to commonalities with other neuro/oncological conditions
- The varied role of an SLT with this client group
13.45 Multidisciplinary working – Karen Morgan, OT & David Griffin-Mead, PT –
Royal Surrey County Hospital
- Patient pathway and timing of intervention
- Service models and screening tool
- Case studies across settings
14.45 Accessing wider services for our patients – SLT and Tilly Atreed, Brain Tumour
- Overview of services available
- Talk from Brain Tumour Charity
- Discussions about a possible Neuro-Oncology CEN
Payment – There are 80 places available for this study day.
- Student tickets will go on sale in June 2015.
- Students please bring ID on the day to show at registration.
Deadline – ticket sales will close 3 days before the event or before if the event has reached capacity.
Refunds – please note refunds will only be given at the committee’s discretion and should be requested at least 72 hours prior to the event.
Handouts - In order to keep costs to a minimum, we are not planning on providing handouts on the day but hope to email all presentations to all registered attendees 2 days prior to the study day. We hope you understand.
Lunch – lunch will be provided. Please inform us via email if you have specific dietary requirements.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
We will endeavour to answer enquiries within 3 days of receipt
When & Where
London Adult Neuro CEN (Speech Therapy)
Previously SIG Adult Neuro (SIGAN)