Actions and Detail Panel
Working with Trade Unions - Central London
Thu 27 April 2017, 09:30 – 16:30 BST
For many years, HR Practitioners and Line Managers in many UK workplaces were told that collective Industrial Relations were on the decline or were over and that unions no longer had relevance. However, in recent years, the opposite has been the case; more and more jobs require Industrial Relations and Employee Relations skills as employers seek to develop positive industrial relationships. These types of skills cannot simply be taught from a book.
This one-day workshop is ideal for anyone, no matter the level of experience, who wants to develop their knowledge and practical skills in working productively with trade unions. The day is highly interactive, using case studies and real life experiences whilst providing an excellent, productive learning environment for attendees to develop their skills, confidence, strategies. All of which will be of huge benefit back in the workplace.
Why attend this workshop?
Ideal for those who are new to working with trades unions or those who would like to refresh their approach, they will have the opportunity to:-
- Develop essential skills and knowledge in a safe, productive environment with other professionals
- Find out how to build strong, trusting relationships
- Learn the strategies and tactics available to unblock issues and to solve them at the earliest possible moment
- Develop confidence in implementing these skills
Who Is this Workshop for?
This workshop is for anyone who works with trades unions currently, so for example HR Professionals and/or Line Managers or those who want to develop the skills to be able to do so in the future. This workshop will also be beneficial if you just want to understand more about unions and how Industrial Relations can work inside their organisation.
What will I get out of this Workshop?
- A good understanding of the UK trade union environment and how unions work
- Learning from a leading IR specialist including case studies, “war” stories and hints and tips
- Understand the main agreements that should be present and how they should be constructed
- An introduction to the 5-point plan for negotiations, how it is applied and how it can be adapted
- How to deal with disputes, failures to agree and other blockages
- Introduction to the 4mat method of communicating and influencing
- Discussion and Q&A session with a senior union figure
- Opportunity to discuss current issues and challenges you may face
- A plan for applying learning and knowledge back in the workplace
About the presenters
This workshop will be led and facilitated by Andy Cook. Andy has a long track record of working with domestic and global businesses on disputes and issues, together with Industrial Relation and Employee Relations strategy. He has been involved in many of the most high profile disputes in recent years, has extensive international experience and is a regular contributor to the media. For more information
The workshop will also feature a discussion and Q&A session with a senior figure from a major UK trade union. More details will be provided.
What is included
Full catering will be provided, including lunch, tea, coffee and soft drinks throughout the day
This workshop can be offered in-house. Please do get in touch to find out more.