Actions and Detail Panel
Working With Willow: lanterns and puppets and puppety-lanterns!
Sun 4 December 2016, 13:00 – 17:00 GMT
++ WORKSHOP FOR CURRENT BFS MEMBERS ONLY ++
WORKING WITH WILLOW: LANTERNS AND PUPPETS, AND PUPPETY-LANTERNS!
Hello BFS members!
As inclinations to thoughts of our Edinburgh Beltane's 30th anniversary are now seeping in to our creative consciousness, it's about time to start sharing some of our long-forgotten skills and crafts. In years gone by willow crafts in the forms of lanterns and puppets and puppety-lanterns were a BFS staple; having let this art fall by the wayside in recent years, it's now time to dust it off and see what we can do with it for Beltane 2017!
BFS invites you to join members Helen Bradburn and Ross Flemington for a workshop from 1pm-5pm on Sunday 4th December, in the downstairs studio at the Calton Centre. In the session our volunteer workshop leaders will show you how to play and create with willow (get started by helping make lanterns for the Hill!); to learn and experiment; to have chance to ask questions, and to throw around ideas about the illuminated world of lanterns and puppets.
In this workshop we will cover:
- Suppliers and materials - sourcing
- Getting to grips with your materials
- Finding out what BFS has to loan for big projects
- Scope of ideas - how small, how big?
- Puppet building - backpacks and the basics (presented by Ross Flemington)
- Illuminating spaces
- Making a lantern: finish it on the day or take it away with you and bring it back to the Open Meeting to inspire others... we would like you to contribute your efforts, by making a lantern which will be on the hill for the 30th celebrations... yep, the prep starts here! :)
Please bring water and lunch/nibbles for yourself and to share, to keep us all going across this bumper workshop!
Please only book if you are certain you will attend:
Places are limited to make sure those who do come along will get as much support and chance to learn as possible. If you book a place, please be sure to come, or to cancel if you can't make it - so we can give your space to another BFS member and make sure as many of us as possible have chance to learn these fabulous skills.
We're hoping to run many more workshops, on a whole host of skills, so if you can't make this one, don't worry!
Photo by Neil Barton for Beltane Fire Society