San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Over the three days of training you will explore the theatre methodology developed by Open Theatre Company, designed to help adults and young people with learning disabilities and how this can be applied within special schools.
This course is ideal for people interested in working with people with learning disabilities through performance. Applicants may have some formal drama/arts training but are interested in developing specialist skills working with learning disabilities.
The course would develop an understanding of the skills needed in this way of working through practical, discussion and client-based activities.
Day One: Practical and theoretical session in developing skills in the theatre methodology.
Day Two: Practical and theoretical session in developing skills in the application of the methodology in special schools.
Day Three: How to plan sessions and hands-on experience of working with young people with learning disabilities.
On the course we'll be covering:
- Placing the creativity of people with learning disabilities at the heart of the process
- Creating performance work on the borderline of theatre, dance and mime: physical theatre at its best
- Training people with learning disabilities as performers of professional standard
- Focusing on the interactive, non-verbal and physical
- How to have a significant impact on children and young people’s learning within the school curriculum
- Developing the skills, abilities and qualities that these young people need to survive and thrive as they make the transition into adulthood.