San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
A HALF-day course looking at the latest developments in the law concerning bloggers, community news services, web publishers and users of social media.
Trainer: David Banks
This workshop was organised in partnership with C4CJ, Cardiff University
Topics to be covered include:
- Latest developments in the law as it applies to new media
- Development in libel, including recent cases affecting blogs and websites, and the effect of libel reforms of the Defamation act 2016
- Latest cases in privacy and the implications for those publishing hyperlocal sites and gathering information about their audiences
- Contempt of Court – guidance on recent prosecutions – what is it safe to publish now
- Changes to reporting rules relating to children in and out of courts
- Changes to copyright law, with particular reference to online
- Reporting restrictions in the courts and relating to sexual offences
- Advice on regulation as it applies to websites, hyperlocals and bloggers
- Potential impact of departure from the EU on legal protections for bloggers and publishers of hyperlocal sites
The session will take the form of a presentation, with a short workshop and there will be plenty of opportunities for discussion of individual issues/concerns.
Slides and supporting notes will be made available.