Actions and Detail Panel
Writing a Scientific Journal Paper
Wed 19 October 2016, 10:00 – 16:00 BST
Sales Have Ended
Sales Have Ended
For all Science and Technology University of Portsmouth Research and Academic Staff
Publishing in a journal is an essential part of science, as it enables others to learn from your work, build on it and give you credit for it. But the journal publishing system is complex and changing fast, so it can be difficult to navigate. This course is designed to help you write a paper for a journal and get it published in the most effective way. The course will be provided by Anna Sharman, who has been a biology postdoc, an in-house journal editor and a scientific publishing consultant and now runs Cofactor, a scientific editing and training company.
The course is suitable for researchers in science, technology and engineering. It will include time to work on an abstract for your own research paper. Please EITHER write an abstract in advance and bring it with you, OR bring brief notes about the main results that your paper would present and the conclusions you intend to draw so that you can write an abstract during the workshop. A laptop will be useful for the writing exercises but is not essential.
This workshop will enable you to:
- Cope with rejections from journals and deal with peer reviewers' comments
- Choose a journal that will best enable your paper to have an impact - and quickly
- Write an informative, engaging abstract that will attract people to read the whole paper
- Write in a style that is clear, concise and at the right level of formality for a research paper
- Publicise your paper and your research, including using social media, to increase its impact
Lunch will be provided.