Join former Q editor and content consultant Andy Pemberton for a rigorous, interactive masterclass to learn how to communicate with authority, authenticity and impact.
Do you write business copy as part of your job? Or do you need to create a style guide and tone of voice for your whole organisation? This in-depth practical masterclass will teach you strategies to communicate at the most senior levels with effectiveness and credibility.
The course is split into three main sections - planning, writing and collaboration. You’ll receive a pre-course online assessment, allowing you to set your personal objectives and will have the option to write a style guide for your organisation on the final day.
You’ll learn how to plan your content, how emotions guide behaviour, how communication works, understanding your brand, how to identify a tone of voice and the importance of headlines, structure and style.
You’ll also find out how to write with simplicity, clarity and an active voice, and how to develop a tone and style for your business writing that you can share with your organisation.
The course is a mixture of structured learning, tutor coaching and peer feedback, allowing you to really get to grips with your writing and be able to communicate with confidence.
The course will cover
- How to communicate exactly what you want, clearly, in the subject line or title and the first two sentences of everything you write.
- How to use well-organised, active-voice sentences to explain what is happening, what ought to happen and what people need to do.
- How to communicate with authority, authenticity and impact.
- How clear leadership expressed in writing, creates alignment and boosts productivity.
- New strategies for influencing others and getting results.
- An exploration of how strong writers embody confidence and emotion.
- How to handle difficult situations with well-written communications.
- How your writing influences how you are perceived in the business world.
- How to refine your skills by role playing real business scenarios.
- How to develop a style and tone of voice guide for your organisation.
More about your tutor
Andy Pemberton is a content expert with international experience. Currently director at Furthr, he edited Q magazine in London, launched Blender magazine in New York, which won Ad Age’s Launch of The Year, and also edited Spin magazine. He has written for the New York Times, GQ, Esquire, The Sunday Times, The National (Dubai) and The Times of India. He writes columns for Yahoo.com, and the Huffington Post in the US, and offers training in social media, data visualization and content strategy. He has worked as a content consultant for the RNLI, Time Out, BT, Google and more. He is also a leading data visualization expert, and includes the United Nations, the World Food Programme, and Aviva among his clients. He is a judge at this year's British Media Awards.
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.