Actions and Detail Panel
Writing for Publication
Sat 10 June 2017, 09:30 – 18:00 BST
In this brand new workshop presented by Steve Vogel (Editor in Chief, International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine) and Sarah Davies (Senior Publisher, Elsevier), you will learn how to write and submit impactful articles for publication, and how to review the work of others.
Writing for publication and reviewing scholarly articles can enable us to:
- Communicate the findings of research and contribute to the wider body of knowledge of osteopathy and osteopathic medicine, leading to positive outcomes and change in practice.
- Share new developments and innovative practice and create synergies with others.
- Create debate and discussion to ensure ongoing critical review of established practice and to extend personal and professional skills in disseminating knowledge and expertise It also can stimulate new collaborations with others.
The workshop will be broken down into three key elements:
Writing for Publication - pick up skills and tips for planning ,writing and submitting articles to academic peer-reviewed journals.
Reviewing for Journals – discover what editors and peer reviewers are looking for when they evaluate submitted articles submitted for publication, and what skills you may need to become a reviewer.
Publishing for Impact - explore what “impact“ means. Discover new tools and techniques for measuring 'impact', and how to evaluate the impact of published articles.
What will you learn?
At the conclusion of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define why writing for publication is an essential activity for osteopathic educators, students and osteopaths.
- Map out the basis of an article for publication.
- Define why peer review is an essential part of scholarly publication and how it can be an integral part of ongoing continuing professional development.
- Set a goal and timescale for submitting an article for publication or for establishing a network for critiquing published literary.