Actions and Detail Panel
Youth Mental Health First Aid Course (YMHFA) Two Day 10th & 11th April
Mon, 10 Apr 2017, 09:00 – Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 16:30 BST
Youth MHFA course is an internationally recognised course designed specifically for those people that teach, work, live with or care for young people aged 8 to 18 years.
You will learn how to:
- Provide information, tools and techniques to promote a young person's mental and emotional wellbeing
- Support a young person who might be experiencing mental and emotional distress.
MHFA won't teach you how to be a therapist, but you will be able to say you're a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
What will I learn?
Our Youth MHFA course is split into four manageable chunks. These are:
- What is mental health?
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicide and psychosis
- Self-harm and eating disorders.
Within each section there is clear focus on the issues faced by young people, including bullying/cyber bullying and substance misuse. The course also teaches the importance of promoting wellbeing and protective factors.
In each section you’ll learn how to:
- Spot the early signs of a mental health issue in young people
- Feel confident helping a young person experiencing mental ill health
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Help protect a young person who might be at risk of harm
- Help prevent a mental health issue from getting worse
- Help a young person recover faster
- Guide a young person towards the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental health issues.
How will I learn?
The Youth MHFA course usually takes place over two full days. However, the delivery of the course is flexible and may be delivered over a number of sessions.
The sessions will be a mix of presentations, discussions, and group work activities. I provide a safe learning environment and I am trained to support you throughout the whole course. If you don’t feel comfortable joining in certain parts, then there is no pressure to.
Due to some of the sensitive subjects of our courses, numbers are limited to 16 people. I want everyone to feel safe and I can help if people find some parts particularly difficult.
Everyone who attends the course will receive a copy of the Youth MHFA manual and workbook, which are both excellent support resources. When you have completed the course you will receive a certificate to confirm that you are a trained Youth Mental Health First Aider.
Who can attend?
The course is for everyone and is relevant for people who teach, work, live with and care for 8 to 18 year olds, including young people themselves, although parental consent is required below the age of 16.
Find out what people have said about the mhfa training. see https://mhfaengland.org/who-is-it-for/
For More information regarding Youth MHFA ( mental health first aid) visit www.mhfaengland.org
N.B There will be a minimum attendence of 8 for this event. if the minimum number is not achieved then the organiser will reserve the right to cancel the course and all payments will be refunded.