San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
'This 2 day course completely changed my thoughts and the way I speak with young people I come into contact with.' (Course participant feedback)
Youth MHFA is an internationally recognised training programme designed specifically for those people that teach, work, live with or care for young people aged 11 - 18.
Youth MHFA provides information, tools and techniques to promote a young person's mental and emotional wellbeing and to enable participants to support a young person who might be experiencing mental and emotional distress.
Estimates vary, but research suggests that 20% of children have a mental health problem in any given year, and about 10% at any one time. (Lifetime Impacts: Childhood and Adolescent Mental Health, Understanding the Lifetime Impacts, Mental Health Foundation, 2005).
Did you know that one in ten children between the ages of 1 and 15 has a mental health disorder? (The Office for National Statistics Mental health in children and young people in Great Britain, 2005)
The Youth MHFA course will teach you how to:
• Spot the early signs of a mental health problem in young people
• Feel confident helping a young person experiencing a problem
• Provide help on a first aid basis
• Help protect a young person who might be at risk of harm
• Help prevent a mental health illness from getting worse
• Help a young person recover faster
• Guide a young person towards the right support
• Reduce the stigma of mental health problems.
Key areas covered within the course include:
• Promoting emotional, mental, social and psychological well-being
• Eating Disorders
• Self Harm
• Diversity and equality issues
• Substance/Alcohol misuse
• Child, adolescent and family psychosocial development
• Bullying/Cyber bullying
• Promoting protective factors and good parenting
Why are skills in youth mental health first aid important?
• 1 in 10 young people experience emotional and mental health problems.
• By the time young people become adults the incidence of mental health problems rises to somewhere between 1 in 4 and 1 in 6 people.
• For those aged 15-24 suicide is the second most common cause of death.
• There is evidence to suggest early intervention is hugely beneficial.
Who is it for?
Youth MHFA course is suitable for any parents, grandparents, family members, foster parents, teachers, social workers, teaching assistants, youth workers, police staff, youth offending teams, Y-Smart workers, including:
- Anyone interested in supporting young people experiencing poor mental health. This may mean your family members, clients or people you care for both in a professional and non-professional capacity;
- Anyone working with young people, which may include people with mental health illnesses, suffering from depression or self-harming;
- Front-line professionals with some experience of working directly with young people with complex needs that impact on mental health and wellbeing;
- Managers who supervise front-line staff or have a specialist development role in supporting staff.
Our training courses are available for everyone. We can provide Youth MHFA manuals as an audio book, in braille and in large print at no additional cost. Please contact us to advise about any additional needs you may have to ensure that you benefit from this course.
We can only accept your place, if payment is made in full before the course date.
Deadline for bookings is a fortnight before the course date and it is also when you will receive a final confirmation if the course is going ahead. We reserve the right to cancel a course if there is not a minimum quota of participants. We would advise that you refrain from making any travel or accommodation arrangements until 2 weeks before the course.
If the workshop is cancelled by Astra Training and Consultancy at any time, you will be offered an alternative date. If a suitable alternative date cannot be arranged, your payment will be refunded in full.
In the event of participant’s non-attendance or a cancellation within 14 working days before the beginning of the course, the payment is non-refundable.
A substitute attendee may be nominated with at least 48 hours notice – please contact Astra Training and Consultancy on 07864 795 049 or 01392 877 282 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org
When & Where
Astra Training and Consultancy Ltd
Astra provides cutting edge and evidenced based solutions to emotional wellbeing and stress management at the workplace.
Our unique services will equip your workplace with practical skills that you need in order to recognise stress internally and outside of your workplace, to become more resilient as a place of work where staff feel supported, where they can be productive and happy.
Astra is a regional provider of nationally recognised and accredited Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training courses for individuals and employers. The company also provides mindfulness sessions at workplace and residential staff away days based on coaching and mindfulness approaches.
Whether you are a private employer, local authority, NHS organisation, health and social care provider, school, college, a third sector or a public sector organisation you can make substantial improvements by choosing our innovative services.
If you are interested in our offer please contact email@example.com or call 01392 877 282. Check our website for more details www.astraconsultancy.co.uk