We’re delighted that you are considering taking part in one of our events. Through taking part you’ll be helping provide the support our volunteers need in order to rescue the thousands of people who rely on us to save their lives every year.
So whether you’re looking for a new personal challenge, like the idea of taking part in the event or are keen to support the work of the RNLI, there is an event for you.
The following shows the difference our lifesaving work makes in numbers:
• In 2012 our lifesavers rescued or aided nearly 25,000 people.
• 92% of our total income comes from donations
• There are 7,600 volunteer crew members throughout the UK including volunteer shore crew and station management
• 83p in every pound donated goes to the rescue service
• An average of 22 people are rescued every day
• 19,000 miles of coastline are covered by our lifeboats
• Over 200 UK and Channel Island beaches were patrolled by RNLI lifeguards in 2012
• Our Flood Rescue team rescued 85 people in 2012
By taking part in one of our events you will be raising vital funds to help support our rescue service. Even a small amount can make a real difference.
• It costs £600 to equip each lifeguard – wetsuit £85, binoculars £50, red and yellow flag £14
• It costs £500 per year to ensure a lifeguard has the training needed
• It costs £1,296 to kit out an all-weather lifeboat crew member – safety helmet £194, lifejacket £330, pager £150
• It costs £1,330 per year to train each crew member
So take the first step on your journey and register now to become part of Team RNLI. We’ll support you every step of the way to ensure that you get the best out of your experience.