Skip Main Navigation
Page Content

Bursledon Brickworks was founded in 1897 by the Ashby family. The Ashbys were partners in Hooper & Ashby, successful builders merchants in Southampton. They also made bricks. The first brickyard was at Chandlers Ford but when an opportunity to start making bricks at Bursledon arose they jumped at it. There was abundant clay at the new Bursledon site and very good transport links by both rail and river.

In 2012 the museum was awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £666,300. This grant was awarded to help create a fully functioning museum open on a regular basis.

Volunteers with the help of part time ‘staff’ who were originally employed as part of the Lottery project currently run the museum. They help with managing the museum. The volunteers carry out most of the restoration work and help to man the site when the museum is open. The museum is completely independent and relies on visitors for its income. 

Save This Event

Event Saved