Voted by Bikepacking.com as 'Best New Trail' and now in its second year, the Capital Trail is an Individual Mountain Bike Time Trial that start and finish on Portobello Beach. Regardless if you finish or not, you are also welcome to join in for a cold brew afterwards on Sunday afternoon, we are likely to meet again at Dalriada Bar on the Prom. This is the perfect challenge for experienced mountain bikers that would like to give bikepacking a try, or experienced bikepackers that would like to sample the beautiful countryside around Edinburgh. But it is certainly not for beginners, sorry!
There are no terms and conditions, as everyone is responsible for their own thing, as long as you stick to the rules below. We are simply starting at the same spot at the same time.
The Capital Trail is the invention of me, Markus Stitz, I have just finished a lap of the world on a singlespeed bike, cycling though 26 countries, covering 34,097km in less than 11 months. If you think it's an easy trail, you might want to think again (:
This year there won't be any fee for the mass start neither will I review everyone who is registering, it will be a bikepacking event in it's true sense. You are more than welcome to make a donation here, it takes a long time to devise a 240km route. However, free doesn't mean that you should sign up just to secure a spot, please only (!) sign up if you are going to take part. All people that sign up and don't show up without notice won't get a chance to take part in future editions. Simples.
Find out more at markusstitz.com/capital-trail/
For a sample packing list look here
- Complete the entire route, under your own power - no drafting.
- Be completely self-supported throughout the ride - absolutely no support crews, absolutely no gear sharing. You can, however, ride as part of a small group of friends, as long as you are equipped to ride the entire route on your own (but no friends and family following the ride, effectively acting as a sag-wagon).
- Only use commercial services that are available to all challengers - no private resupply, no private lodging.
- If you have to leave the route, you must rejoin it at the exactly same spot.
- No caches of any kind.
- No pre-arranged support, which means before you begin your ride - e.g. booking a B&B, arranging to meet a vehicle.
- No travel by any motorised means during your ride - by all means do so if necessary, but understand if you do your attempt is over.
- Gear - nothing required, nothing prohibited.
- You agree that you will release the organisers from any and all responsibility of liability for injuries or damages or to any other person. You agree not to make a claim against or sue this organiser for injuries or damages relating to this event.