Actions and Detail Panel
Coding for publishers: half-day taster course
Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 2:00 PM
2pm - 6pm | 6th April 2017
Faber Academy, Bloomsbury, London
In this beginner-friendly afternoon with industry expert Emma Barnes and the team from Bibliocloud, go from zero knowledge to building a website with your very own coding hands.
Have you ever...
- Been curious about code but worried you're not 'technical'?
- Been excited about digital but lacked the know-how?
- Wanted to know how knowing more about code could give you and your publisher the edge?
If so, join Emma to gain insight into the following key technologies as you build your own publishing website, step by step:
- HTML: Make content appear
- CSS: Make your content prettier
- Ruby: Load up some publishing data
- APIs: feed in other people's data
Along the way, find out how code plays out within the publishing industry, from the HTML of TheBookseller.com to the XML of your metadata feed, and why it matters. And we'll leave you with a glimpse of the possibilities that await you, your company and the wider industry if you learned more.
Open to anyone working in publishing, with no knowledge or expertise required, but you will need to bring your own laptop.
Praise for previous courses:
- 'Insightful, inspiring and totally demystified coding.” Oxford Brookes MA student
- 'Engaging and addictive'. HarperCollins Publishers
- 'A succinct and valuable course for absolute beginners'. Bonnier Publishing
- 'Emma is a wonderful and very clear teacher'. Unbound
- Emma Barnes taught herself to code after founding her own independent publisher, Snowbooks. She went on to build Bibliocloud, the next-generation publishing system. Now she's on a mission to promote tech skills within the publishing industry and beyond.
- David Aldridge is co-founder and Data Architect at Bibliocloud and also teaches code with Emma at RailsGirls London.
- Andy Pearson is a programmer at Bibliocloud with ten years of experience making websites. He loves teaching beginners to code.
- Rob Jones is Chairman of Snowbooks and Bibliocloud, has many degrees, and also codes.
- Emily Labram is Product Manager at Bibliocloud and recently a Bookseller Rising Star. She's learning to code.
- Tik Dalton is Publisher at Snowbooks and graduate of the Oxford Brookes publishing degree. She's a coding beginner.