[UPDATE 17/11/2015: Please find the latest programme details and timings here]
Are you thinking about innovative ways to engage with news communities?
Then participate in the next Digital Editors Network meeting on November 19th at BBC Broadcasting House, where the discussions will focus on how digital publishers are trying to reach new audiences – on a local, national and global scale.
We’ll learn about the latest research into youth news habits around the world, debate the fragmentation of audiences, and discuss the latest techniques that publishers (and other sectors) employ to engage audiences and build communities on digital platforms.
Welcoming participants to the event is someone who is thinking about those topics and beyond is James Montgomery, Director of Digital Development for BBC News. Speakers at the meeting will also include:
- Dmitry Shishkin, BBC World Service Digital Editor, who will describe how the corporation adapts to changing audience expectations globally;
- Elizabeth Plank, Senior Correspondent at Mic.com, a New York City-based digital-first outlet aimed at covering ‘stories that matter to our generation’;
- Alec Saelens, a co-founder of The Bristol Cable, the co-operative news publisher that has 450 members and counting;
- Mina Al-Lami of BBC Monitoring will discuss how ISIS is using online platforms to genage with audiences and spread its message.
- Tom Bage of Change.org will share insights into campaigning communities;
- Shuiab Khan, Editor of Asian Image newspaper and founder of the Asian Media Awards.
- Renee Kaplan, Head of Audience Engagement at the Financial Times.
Discussions will be co-chaired by the DEN’s convenors Dr François Nel, Director of the Journalism Leaders Programme at the University of Central Lancashire; Nick Turner, Digital Strategy Manager at the CN Group; and Lucia Adams of The Times. The event sponsors also include the editorial management software company Desk-Net.
DEN participants are a lively bunch who enjoy robust, frank conversations. For that reason, we will not be streaming this meetup live and observing the Chatham House Rule, in most instances.
The programme on Thursday, November 19th, will run from 3pm to 7pm at BBC Broadcasting House, with registration opening at 2:30pm and conversations afterwards spilling over into a networking reception that wraps at 7:30pm. You may also want to meet up beforehand for an informal lunch at 1pm or so at Carluccio's, or join our host, the convenors, speakers and sponsor afterwards for dinner at Percy & Founders from 8pm. Or both. Meals are for your own account. (The draft programme with timings is available here)
DEN is a community, not a conference. Since 2007, the Digital Editors Network has worked to connect media innovators, whether they work inside, outside or alongside mainstream media organisations. You can link into DEN by liking our Facebook page, joining our LinkedIn group, or following us on Twitter @DENupdates, or our blog.
If you'd like to contribute ideas, speak, host, sponsor or collaborate on a future DEN meetup or workshop, contact the convenors François Nel at digitaledtitorsnetwork @ gmail.com, Nick Turner at nick.turner @ cumbrian-newspapers.co.uk , or Lucia Adams at lucia.adams @ news.co.uk .
When & Where
Digital Editors Network
Connecting innovators inside, outside and alongside mainstream news media since 2007.