Actions and Detail Panel
Creative Coding with Processing
Tue 10 January 2017, 17:30 – 20:00 GMT
£20 waged, £15 concessions, plus eventbrite fee.
(all proceeds go towards the charitable work of Access Space)
Maximum 10 places - pre-booking essential.
A hands-on taster workshop on the popular and free/open source "Processing" environment for creative coding.
Suitable for complete beginners, this workshop will introduce Processing as a creative environment for exploring ideas with visuals and sounds. In this taster workshop we'll cover things like:
- Creative coding - where code fits into the creative process
- The Processing environment, using the editor, and signposting online resources
- Working with code - strategies for reusing and learning code
- Animation - creating live graphic animation using Processing
- Simple audio processing - creating graphics that respond to sound input
Please bring your own laptop, or otherwise let us know so we can try to find a computer for you to use.
Feedback from participants will guide a creative coding workshop series starting early 2017.
The workshop will be taught by Alex McLean, who has over 15 years experience working with creative coding in the digital arts, including live coded electronic music, interactive installations and several research projects. Alex is an award-winning software artist, and completed a PhD in Arts and Computational Technology with his thesis "Artist-Programmers and Programming Languages for the Arts by Goldsmiths in 2011. He regularly performs with TidalCycles, a live coding environment he created for making live music from code-based pattern.