Actions and Detail Panel
How to Make a Living (and a Life) from Writing
Sat 6 May 2017, 09:00 – 17:00 BST
Do you want to leave your job and make a living with your writing?
Would you like to transition into a full-time income from your creativity?
Maybe you have written a book already, or have a blog, but you’re not making a decent income from it and you’re ready to take it to the next level.
Starting out is scary…
Every time you think about building a career based on writing, you hear the following voices in your head:
- Who are you to think that you could do this?
- No one makes decent money from writing these days. I’ll never be able to pay the bills.
- My writing isn’t strong enough to compete.
- I could fail.
- What if it all ends up being a massive mistake?
You convince yourself to give up before you’ve even started.
But now is the best time in history to make a living from your writing!
The internet enables writers to reach a global audience and earn an income online. Publishing has been radically changed by the rise of ebooks, mobile technology and print on demand options that enable authors to reach customers directly across the world.
Free marketing tools empower creatives to find their fans and interact without a middleman. It truly is a renaissance for writers, and you have a chance to be a part of it!
This inspirational and info-packed day will expand the possibilities for your writing, and you will leave with personalised next steps to further your creative and entrepreneurial career.
Orna Ross writes and publishes novels, poetry and nonfiction guides for creatives and creativists. An award-winning and bestselling indie author, Orna is the founder of the non-profit association for self-publishers, the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi), and each year since 2013 has been named one of The Bookseller’s Top 100 people in publishing. Twitter: @ornaross.
Joanna Penn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller author (as J.F.Penn) and non-fiction, an international professional speaker and award-winning creative entrepreneur. Her site, TheCreativePenn.com is regularly voted one of the Top 10 sites for writers. Joanna left her day job in 2011 to become a full-time author-entrepreneur and now runs a multi-six-figure business. She has written 21 books. Twitter: @thecreativepenn
Come along to this one day workshop and you will leave with:
- Ideas on how you can make a living with your writing
- A deeper understanding of your relationship with money, how the creative process works, and your own creative process
- The different business models you can use as a writer in today’s global, digital marketplace
- Creative tools and techniques, including f-r-e-e-writing, that connect you to your own creative power
- An overview of how to take advantage of changes in the publishing industry and the information you need to actually make money with books - fiction and/or non-fiction
- An understanding of how you create the life you want
- Instructions on how to use other forms of writing, including blogging, to carry your message while boosting your book income
- A step-by-step transition map to take you to making your living as a writer
Who is the workshop for?
- People of any age or profession who want to live more creatively and make a living from writing
- Authors of fiction and/or non-fiction, who want to create more financial return from their writing and publishing
- Bloggers and freelance writers who want to expand creative and commercial possibilities by publishing books
9 - 9.30: Registration so we can start on time at 9.30am
9.30 - 11: Money mindsets: what’s yours? Applying the creative process to money itself. How writers get paid. Business models. The magic of intellectual property. The magic of f-r-e-e-writing.
11 - 11.30 - Coffee break
11.30 - 1: How to make money from books, fiction and non-fiction. The creative skills you need to write and publish well.
1 - 2pm: Lunch
2 - 3.30pm: How to make money from spin-offs and other forms of writing, including blogging, product sales, affiliate income, consulting/coaching, speaking, sponsorship, and more. Passion and Mission. Aligning ancillary income with your creative intentions.
3.30 - 4: Coffee break
4 - 5: Transitioning to full-time: Your personal map. Sustaining a creative career and a creative life. Your next steps. Q&A
The workshop includes:
- Downloadable PDF of slides from the workshop
- Creating Money, Creating Meaning from Writing: Mini-Workbook
- eBook of How to Make a Living with Your Writing by Joanna Penn
- eBook of Creating Money, Creating Meaning by Orna Ross
What do past attendees of this workshop say?
"Great value for money. It gave me some practical easy-win next steps, but also a lot to think about in the longer term regarding the economics behind creating a business around writing. It was a very focused and well-run session. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is seriously considering trying to make a living as an author-entrepreneur." Taron
"I had a blast with Joanna and Orna learning about self-publishing and now know I Can do this! ... If you are looking to be educated, supported, inspired, and make other writer and indie publishing friends there is no better place to start with than Joanna Penn and Orna Ross." Jennifer
"In my previous career I had hundreds of hours of training. This session was by far the most useful one." Cinzia
"I came away from the seminar with a plan of action that would have taken many, many months (or more!) without the knowledge gained from this day ... If you are serious about making a business from your writing then this is one business expense that you really should make." Colin
"I travelled to London [from Sweden] specifically to attend this workshop. Within the first day of getting back, I've already taken more dramatic and progressive action for my writing than I had within the entire preceding year. This was an invaluable, energising experience - I'm so glad I took the chance!" Vilhelmina
Venue and Practicalities:
Regent’s Park University is set in the gorgeous surroundings of Regents Park in central London.
It's a 10-minute walk from Baker Street Tube and there are coffee and food options on site for the breaks, including a Starbucks and a cafeteria. You can bring something from the many cafes and shops around Baker Street.
There is accessibility into the room for wheelchairs.
Sponsored by Reedsy
Need help with self-publishing? Find the perfect editor, cover designer or help with your book marketing. Members of the Reedsy team will be at the seminar to answer your questions and there will be a chance for 1:1 meetings in the breaks. Find out more at www.reedsy.com
Limited places available. Don't risk disappointment, BOOK NOW!
Please note: This course will not teach you HOW to write a novel or non-fiction book. This course will teach you about the potential business models around writing – through books, blogging, content marketing and other forms of writing. You can still do the course if you don’t have a book/blog yet, but it will be focused on the business and entrepreneurial side of writing.
REFUND POLICY: Full refunds are available up to 30 April 2017. 50% refund available from 1 - 5 May 2017.