Actions and Detail Panel
Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 12:00 – Mon, 1 May 2017, 23:30 BST
It’s back! For the third year running, Portobello Live! returns to West London with its winning formula of music, cabaret, spoken word, performance and art.
Held over the May Day bank holiday in association with dance label Wall Of Sound and Rough Trade records, this year’s festival also takes a retrospective look at Rock Against Racism, a movement which sprang into life 40 years ago.
A stunning line up of new bands and performers, rock royalty and special guests will play out across the stages of Portobello's iconic pubs, clubs and venues. This year, Portobello Live! is delighted to announce punk performance poet John Cooper Clarke as one of the headline artists, along with Bandante (The Bad Seeds), Glen Matlock (the Sex Pistols), The Egg, Youth, Salad Undressed, Ben Volpeliere-Pierrot (Curiosity Killed The Cat), Don Letts, Rusty Egan and Noel Watson, with more to be announced. Music, film, poetry and art lovers will join with music industry and media professionals to enjoy the best of the West in a diverse programme of delight.
A Community Interest Company (CIC), Portobello Live! also represents the local community. The ‘It’s Behind You’ exhibition looks back over 25 years of the iconic Portobello Panto, neighbourhood music academy The Rhythm Studio will hold drumming sessions and beautiful harmonies from the Portobello Live! Choir open the festival.
Particularly relevant in today’s social climate, Rock Against Racism photographer Syd Shelton will reflect on the movement which, 40 years ago, came to public attention through music and marches, or ‘carnivals’, inspired by Notting Hill’s annual event where many RAR artists had their musical and street-fighting apprenticeships. Also highlighting current social affairs, the Oasis World Choir, composed of refugees from Sudan, Syria and Afghanistan, will sing at the festival.
Once again, the watchword of Portobello Live! is accessibility, with one affordable wristband allowing entry to all acts and venues over two days. Under 16s go free. Aimed at preserving Notting Hill's rich and diverse artistic heritage, the festival provides a deserved platform for the area’s past and present music and cultural history. Venues are all within walking distance and include Acklam Village, the Cow, Mau Mau, Rough Trade, Westbank, Rum Kitchen, Maxilla Social Club and Book & Kitchen.
Ongoing support for this year’s festival is being provided by established sponsors and local patrons including Mick Jones (the Clash), actress Anna Chancellor (Four Weddings and a Funeral), film director Kevin Allen (Twin Town, Under Milk Wood), Don Letts (B.A.D., DJ, filmmaker and author) and artist Mark Wigan.
‘Not only is it great to be working alongside some of the amazing people and organisations who consider West London home; these important collaborations have presented Portobello Live! with the opportunity to expand and develop, as well as giving it greater visibility in the community,’ says Portobello Live! promoter, Micky P.
Wristbands for Portobello Live! are available now at here. They can also be purchased at Rough Trade, 130 Talbot Road W11.
Press inquiries to: email@example.com
Terms and Conditions
- All tickets sold are subject to these Terms and Conditions. Please ensure you read these Terms and Conditions thoroughly prior to purchase as purchase of a ticket or tickets is considered acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by you and any person for whom you may have purchased the ticket(s).
- These Terms and Conditions (hereinafter known as the “Terms and Conditions”) refer to any valid ticket(s) (or wristband once you have exchanged your ticket for on arrival at the Festival) (“ticket”) purchased by or for you (the “Ticket Holder”), for the Portobello Live! (“Festival”). Portobello Live! Festival is held in multiple licensed entertainment Venues (the “Venues”).
- Tickets and admission If collecting tickets, the card holder must be present for collection of all tickets.
- Tickets will need to be exchanged for a wristband on arrival at the Festival. Wristbands must be worn on the Ticket Holders person at all times during the event. In the event that the Ticket Holders wristband is removed, lost, altered or defaced, the ticket will be considered invalidated and will not be replaced.
- Access to each Venue is subject to each Venue’s licensed capacity. Entry to all Venues on the Festival circuit is on a first come first served basis and once a particular Venue has reached its capacity, entry will become on a one in one out queue basis. Ticket Holders are therefore recommended to get to a Venue early if there’s a particular artist they would like to see as entry cannot be guaranteed once the Venue has reached capacity. Tickets are purchased to the Festival as a whole and the Promoter will accept no liability or offer any refund if the Ticket Holder is unable to attend a specific Venue or performance due to an individual Venue reaching its licensed capacity.
- Once access to a Venue has been gained, if it is the Ticket Holder’s responsibility to check the re-admissions policy of the individual Venue they are in prior to leaving the Venue if they intend to return imminently. Re-admissions policies for imminent return (regarding for example, but not limited to, leaving the Venue to use a smoking area) are at the discretion of the Venue(s) and their security staff.
- Photographic ID as proof of age may be required to gain entry to Venues or to be served alcohol. Venues reserve the right to refuse admission or to serve alcohol if the Ticket Holder fails to produce Photographic ID as proof of age on request, without refund. Valid forms of ID are a current passport or current UK Driver’s License or Provisional Driving License. Some Venues may also accept other forms of ID at their discretion, but this is not guaranteed.
- Ticket Holders may be searched at entry points to Venues. Venues have the right to confiscate any item they believe to be a risk to the health and safety of others within the Venue, or any item which is not permitted within their individual Venue in accordance with their individual Venue policies (for example, some Venues may prohibit food and drink purchased outside the Venue). Venues reserve the right to refuse admission without refund if Ticket Holders refuse to be searched in accordance with Venue security policies or if Ticket Holders refuse to have non-permitted items confiscated.
- The Promoter and Venue reserve the right to refuse admission or eject Ticket Holders if in their reasonable opinion, they might be a safety risk to themselves, Venue staff or other Festival goers and/or are exhibiting anti-social behaviour which may affect the enjoyment of other Festival goers. For example, but not limited to, if Ticket Holders are believed to be under the influence of drugs, are drunk, acting aggressively or using threatening or abusive behaviour or gestures.
- Filming and sound recording All Ticket Holders give express consent to filming and sound recording as members of the audience and for any such recordings to be used in any Festival media or promotion at any time without material compensation.
- Artists, Venues and performance times Artist line up, Venues and performance times are subject to change. The number of artist(s) and Venue(s) advertised is an approximate number and subject to change.
- Tickets are purchased to the Festival as a whole and cancellation of an artist or artists, Venue or Venues, will not entitle the Ticket Holder to a refund, regardless of an artist’s position on the Festival line up. No artist(s) or Venue(s) may be considered a headline act or of more material significance, regardless of their public prominence or positioning on the Festival billing.
- Tickets, cancellation and refunds Ticket prices and availability is subject to change.
- Tickets should only be purchased from official agents and ticket sellers. If you are unsure please contact the Promoter before purchasing a ticket. Tickets purchased from unauthorized sellers are not valid and admission will not be granted to the Festival.
- Tickets must not be purchased with the intention of reselling Tickets for profit. The Promoter reserves the right to cancel any Ticket which they reasonably believe was purchased with the intention of reselling for profit or otherwise.
- Tickets are non-refundable after purchase unless for a reason given in these Terms and Conditions.
- In the unlikely event of cancellation, only the face value of the Ticket will be refunded. Refunds of booking fees are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the official ticket agent through which the Ticket Holder purchased their ticket.
- It is the responsibility of the Ticket Holder to check that the event has not been cancelled. In this unlikely situation, information will be made available via the Promoters website and via email to Ticket Holders as soon as practically possible.
- In the unlikely event that a cancellation takes place part-way through an Event, Ticket Holders may only be entitled to a part-refund of the face value of the ticket.
- Personal arrangements made by the Ticket Holder in relation to their attendance at the Festival, including but not limited to travel, subsistence and accommodation, are made entirely at their own risk. In the event of alterations to Festival timings or in event of cancellation, the Promoter will have no liability for any costs incurred for personal arrangements made, or loss of enjoyment, that may occur as a result of any alterations to advertised times. It is the Ticket Holders responsibility to ensure that they have made suitable flexible arrangements for this eventuality.
- Liability Admission is at the Ticket Holder’s own risk. The Promoter (including their employees and agents) shall not be held liable for any personal or property damages, losses (including confiscated items) or injuries to any person sustained at the Festival or within a Venue.
- Other Tickets are personal revocable licenses and shall at all times remain the Promoters property and subject to these Terms and Conditions.
- All tickets are also sold in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the authorised ticket agent from which you purchase your ticket(s), which you can obtain from the point of purchase or upon request. In the event of inconsistency, the Festival Terms and Conditions posted to www.portobellolive.com prevail to the extent of the inconsistency. These Terms and Conditions may be subject to change at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event of a change the Promoter will post changes to the Festival website at www.portobellolive.com.
- If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court or law, it shall not render the remainder of these Terms and Conditions invalid or unenforceable.
These Terms and Conditions supersede any previous Terms and Conditions relating to the Festival.