This course will introduce you to the art of cold process soap making.
Courses usually start around 10am with an informal chat about soap over essential morning refreshments: think locally ground coffee, tea, spring water from Dartmoor springs, handmade cakes and fresh croissants.
After ‘breakfast’ we will talk you through your first batch (roughly 8 bars each) and you will watch a quick interactive demonstration of soap making. The workshop will then be yours and you will be free to make two batches of soap using your own combination of essential oils and botanicals from our extensive range.
During the course of the day we will learn about:
· The history and chemistry behind cold process soap making
· Equipment needed and where to get it
· Safety measures required
· Which oils, butters and waxes can be used and the benefits each can offer
· How to blend essential oils
· What moulds can be used
· Using botanicals from your own garden to decorate/colour your soaps naturally
· How to treat and store your soap once it’s made
· Advanced techniques such as ‘swirling’ or using goat’s milk
We will provide refreshments however we do ask that you bring your own packed lunch and wear long sleeved clothes you don’t mind getting a little mucky in. We would be very grateful if you could let us know of any allergies beforehand.
Please could you also:
· Bring an apron and old towel
· Wear shoes rather than open-toe sandals.
You will leave with your own creations (approx. 16 bars), 2 reusable moulds, your own instruction folder with comprehensive notes, suggested recipes, an info sheet on where to source materials and hopefully a mind bursting with wonderful ideas for future batches!
All, in all a great day out either for you or a friend as a special gift!