How do we create a new generation willing to learn and act to make the world more just and sustainable?
It sometimes feels that for every step forward, the world takes another one, or even two, back! Polio is almost eradicated – but climate change intensifies. Solar energy becomes more affordable – but the number of desperate people fleeing conflict reaches peak levels. Marriage equality takes root in ever more countries – but levels of racism and xenophobia rise amongst individuals and states. Global communication tears down barriers – whilst nationalism pushes up new ones.
Despite these massive challenges, there are many ripples of positive change happening across the globe led by inspiring Change Makers. We need to highlight, celebrate and learn from these stories. Ordinary people coming together to create positive social change in their localities and beyond.
- Fair trade organisations benefitting local farmers and creating markets for their products.
- Social enterprises with building assets which support local businesses and provide youth mentorship and jobs.
- NGOs providing the training and skills for women in Bangladesh to start their own sustainable businesses.
These ripples of positive action can lead to waves of change to help make the world more just and sustainable.
Think Global is hosting a conference to discuss the phenomenon of these Change Makers:
- How do we highlight what they do, learn from them, and also learn from the failures as well as the successes?
- How do we support and inspire the Change Makers, and affirm their power to make the world a better place?
- How do we help to create more of them, so they become an unstoppable generation