Refreshments and sandwiches from 18:00.
BCS SPA SG AGM from 18:15 to 18:30
- Welcome and Introductions
- Apologies for absence
- Minutes of the previous AGM
- Matters arising from the minutes
- Chairman's report
- Treasurer's report
- Election of committee
PLEASE NOTE - all positions on the committee are open for election. If you wish to stand, please announce your intention to the Secretary (Mohinder Khosla - see http://bcs-spa.org/ for contact details) before the meeting.
DevOps: A practical introduction for software practitioners
What is DevOps? What is it not? Why is DevOps suddenly so important? How to manage it?
DevOps was an unknown term in 2011 and now DevOps engineer is one of the most demanded roles… and pretty well paid. Oscar Foley is going to talk about:
- What exactly is DevOps and why is it now so important in software development?
- The benefits of using DevOps techniques such as Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- An introduction to the different tools and patterns that DevOps practitioners would use
Being a pretty new job position, as happened with Scrum Master or Architect roles, companies have implemented DevOps initiatives in different ways. Oscar will explain the different approaches from a management perspective, and the do's and don'ts.
Oscar Foley is a senior .NET software engineer who transitioned to DevOps-like roles before the DevOps label existed. He has worked in top companies like Reed Business Information, Virgin Games, Electronic Arts, Toyota and Telefonica R&D. He holds a BSC in Computer Science and a MSc in Computer Games Technology.